Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Memories revisited............

Yesterday fairly flew by! In the evening, Janet (my neighbor) and I went to the White Lake Library to hear a fellow talk about the Vernor's Company, a beverage native to Detroit. He is an avid collector of Vernor's memorabilia and has written a book about it. He had many slides of downtown Detroit from the early 30's and 40's. What a hoot! Since Detroit was my hometown, I remember my Mom taking me downtown on the trolley and yes, I have visited the Vernor's plant. Many others in the audience had great memories also. They topped off the evening with a Vernor's Float! Yum!!!! I made many of them when I was a "soda jerk" at Wilson's Dairy Bar.

Also at the White Lake Library, were many "Quilt" pictures done by two local artists. In a few weeks they will be there demonstrating how they create their art. The next event I will probably attend is the "Community Read" which is actually county wide. They are giving us copies of "To Kill A Mockingbird" and in March they will have discussion at several libraries. Part of the fun at this library will be a catered buffet of "southern food" and a jazz ensemble playing. Can't miss this one!!!

You might check your local library on line and see what they have to offer. It is pretty amazing what they come up with and usually there is not a charge.

We are expecting a total of 6 to 10 inches of snow accumulating this afternoon and over night. I have a wonderful pile of ironing that is deeper than that, that I have let accumulate. Yes, I still iron, but then it is because I enjoy it. In my lifetime I have actually earned money by ironing. (I am still available, but you have to give me gas money or air fare in addition to my hourly rate.)

Pat's book-----
"Laugh a little, sing a little
As you go your way!
Work a little, play a little
Do this every day!"


Gather all your plants on the kitchen table. Decide whether they need:
1. a new pot
2. fertilizer
3. water
4. leaves dusted or showered
5. to be tossed out!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Gwen. I have always wondered why, when they mix Vernor's and ice cream (shake) at a restaurant, they call it a Boston Cooler. Makes no sense since Vernor's is a Michigan product. Just one of those things that makes me go hmmmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete